Friday, December 07, 2007

THE WATERMELON STORY ......


I had a really nice watermelon growing once!

I read this article that said that if you wanted a really big watermelon you should pinch off all the buds except for a few and let the plant just work on those few (it works for pumpkins too!).

Seemed reasonable to me.

So I pinched off all but a few and got this one really BIG melon. I watched it grow bigger every day with my mouth watering about all the juice I was going to get out of it.

Then one day it stopped growing. I watched it a few more weeks - no more growth. I figured it was done growing. I waited two days till my hubby had the time to help me lift it into the wheel barrow (this was a really big melon!)

We both took an end, planted our feet securely, braced for the weight of it, and heaved upward as hard as we could.

The melon went flying over our heads as if it were made of papier mache. It crashed about 10 feet away, splitting open to reveal - IT WAS HOLLOW!

Dumbfounded I looked down to the place where it originally sat only to see a small family of mice - very confused - and very upset that I had just removed their house!

The little buggers had chewed a hole in it and hollowed it out! Boy was I mad! My husband laughed so hard he fell down and almost had a stroke!!

THE MORAL OF THE STORY: IF YOU STOP GROWING IT IS NOT BECAUSE YOU ARE DONE - MOST LIKELY THERE IS SOMETHING EATING AT YOU FROM THE INSIDE!

No comments: