Thursday, December 13, 2007

You try and support the small business man .....


... and see what you get??

Two days ago we went to a local pet store (the one that was here before petsmart moved in and started to crush them) and asked about an alge condition we had. We were advised to take two sucker fish and let them clean the tank. So we bought two $4 sucker fish and went home.

Yesterday morning we woke to find one of the fish was dead.

No problem. We take the dead fish (in a ziplock casket) back to the store on the way to my second job. here is the conversation that followed:


ME: " Hi I bought two fish yesterday and this one died. Here is my reciept. Can i just get another one?"

FISH GUY: " I need to get a water sample before I can give you another fish."

ME: " Oh the water is fine, the other fish is alive, my gold fish are fine, I think this guy just went into shock - he wasn't acting quite right. can i just get another - I am kinda in a hurry to get to work."

FISH GUY: " I need to get a water sample before I can give you another fish."

ME: "Well this is my second trip, and I don't have time to make a third, and it is only a $4 fish - I have my recipet - can't I just get another one?"

FISH GUY: " I need to get a water sample before I can give you another fish - but I can give you store credit - fill out this form please."

ME: [looking down at the two page form he has pushed at me] "Um, as I said, I am on my way to my second job, and it is only a $4 fish, and I have my reciept, and if you give me store credit I am just going to buy another fish anyway - so can't we speed this up and just give me another fish??"

FISH GUY: " I need to get a water sample before I can give you another fish - but I can give you store credit - fill out this form please."

ME: "OK - so I fill out the long form and you give me store credit."

FISH GUY: "Yes"

ME: "Then I take that store credit and buy another fish."

FISH GUY: "Yes"

ME: "So basically you have just taken the long route to just giving me another fish - right?"

FISH GUY: " I need to get a water sample before I can give you another fish."

ME: [handing over the fish in his little ziplock casket] "Look, I am now late for work. Here - take the fish - keep your store credit - God bless..."

FISH GUY: " I can give you store credit ......"

ME: "That's OK - I won't need it - I won't be back!!"

What was that all about?? Did he not understand??? You would think with the mega pet store breathing down his neck he would be a little more flexible and customer friendly - I mean he certainly can't compete on price!

So we went from there to Petsmart. I found a wonderful lady who knew tons about fish and gave me excellent advice. i did not need the second fish. i was so happy I walked out with $38 in pet Christmas presents!

It is Petsmart for me from now on!!!

No comments: